Mailing List Management: You’re Asking the Wrong Question
Here’s the question that’s on everyone’s mind when they start thinking about mailing lists:
“Which service should I use?”
You’ve probably wondered yourself, and maybe even spent a few hours (or days, or weeks) researching your options.
This is not the question you should be asking (yet). And it’s exactly why so many entrepreneurs get stuck in the planning stage of list building.
The First Step In List Building
Before you need to think about tools, you must ask yourself this:
“How can I best serve my market/tribe?”
Whether you’re coaching business owners, new mums, bloggers, or healers, they have a need that only you can fulfill. And when you discover what that need is, you’ll have two valuable pieces of information:
- What incentive will be a true no-brainer for your ideal client to opt-in to your list?
- How can you use your mailing list to provide the best value for those who join your list?
Don’t over-think these questions, though. Your opt-in incentive can be as simple as a resource guide or a short how-to video that answers a common question. You don’t have to go overboard with dozens of downloads and a 100-page eBook. Rather than providing value, these massive downloads are more likely to overwhelm your reader than encourage her to learn more.
And when it comes to providing value to your list members, keep three things in mind:
- Regular communication is a must (consider an autoresponder series if you’re not good with scheduling email updates). Don’t feel overwhelmed that you are “emailing too much” . If you tribe loves you, they will be glad to hear from you with your wisdom that you are helping make their lives better/easier/brighter.
- Marketing is second to information—too much selling will cause your opt-out rates to soar. Keep giving value but also remember to share your next course or offer regularly. 80/20 rule can apply here – 80 percent giving value 20% inviting them to work with you.
- It’s your responsibility as a feminine thought leader in your market to distill and provide the information, tools and products your audience needs.
“What is my list-building goal?”
How will you be using your list? Will you:
- Send a weekly or monthly newsletter?
- Create an autoresponder series that delivers content on a pre-determined schedule?
- Use affiliate links as an income generator?
- Promote your own services and products?
The answers to these questions will help you determine not only the right tool for your list-building needs, but will also determine the path for your ongoing mailing list content, promotions, and growth.
I recently have found a great system that I am moving over ALL my content to this one system. I used Simplero in the past but this new system I am just so excited about because it’s easy and I can’t stop raving about it. Plus its in Beta now so you can use it for free and if you want it – its super unexpensive. I’ve saved $2000 by making the switch which wasn’t an easy decision for me as I have to move everything over. But I already have seen wins for both my tribe in how they receive my work and for me, in saving me time.
Check it out: (yes full disclosure this is an affiliate link if you decide to make the move but I would share regardless – its that awesome)